Sydney Mathematical Research Institute, Sydney, 6–8 July 2022
The official International Congress of Mathematics 2022 took place as a virtual event and in Sydney, SMRI recreated some of the usual spirit of the ICM (the most influential meeting in pure and applied mathematics, as well as one of the world’s oldest scientific congresses) in a local node.
Our local event featured talks by the Australia based invited speakers, presentations on the work of the Fields medallists, and interactive streaming of plenary and special session talks selected by the participants of ICM2022 Down Under.
Three Australia-based mathematicians were invited speakers:
- Regina Burachik (University of South Australia, Section 16 – Control Theory and Optimisation),
- Amnon Neeman (Australian National University, Section 2 – Algebra)
- George Willis (University of Newcastle, Section 2 – Algebra)
Watch all of the ICM 2022 recordings on the International Mathematical Union YouTube channel.
The ICM Down Under concluded with a twilight talk by SMRI Director Geordie Williamson on Friday evening. The talk was recorded and broadcasted by the London Mathematical Society (virtual ICM public lecture).
This event was partially supported through the Kovalevskaya grant scheme by AMSI, AustMS and MATRIX.
Kovalevskaya grant recipients (update May 2022):
- Ayreena Bakhtawar, UNSW
- Elena Tartaglia, CSIRO (Data61)
- Erchuan Zhang, Edith Cowan University
- James Nichols, ANU
- Minh Dao, Federation University
- Santiago Barrera Acevedo, Monash University
- Scott Lindstrom, Curtin University
- Trang Nguyen, Monash University
- Vinesha Peiris, Swinburne University
- Kayode Oshinubi, Grenoble University
- Matteo Bordignon, Charles University Prague